Monday, March 30, 2009

"Dike Patrol"


Here's a video of Nate out on "dike patrol" the other night. The neighborhood has really come together to fight this flood. They have been having one or two meetings a day, and have made up schedules to monitor the dikes all through the night. This gives a pretty good idea of what we have been dealing with. Better than the pictures can do.

The river has dropped over 2 feet now. Though they just announced that we could be having another crest, of 40-41 feet ... but not until mid April! We are also in the middle of our third snow storm of the month! We got about 5 inches since noon today, and we're suppose to get 8-12 inches by the time this thing is over. Like a friend said today, if they announced we were going to have a hurricane come through town tomorrow I really wouldn't be surprised! I questioned why anyone would ever live in this town ... but all I have to do is look at how this community came together to help each other and I remember why.

No comments: