Thursday, January 28, 2010

backyard football

Lately I have been more interested in reading other people's blogs than writing my own blog. I sometimes get so caught up in admiring others creativity that its hard for me to be creative myself.

Anyway, no more procrastinating. I have been wanting to share some of my favorite photos from the holidays, but haven't gotten around to it yet. The holidays were a little different for us this year. With the death of Nate's grandpa, and David being home on leave they seemed to fly by even faster than normal. But the time spent with family was as sweet as ever!

As I mentioned, my little brother was recently home on leave from Iraq. I was talking to him last week (when he surprised me with a phone call on my birthday!) about the fact that he will soon be coming home. For me this year seems to have flown by - but for him, he said, it feels like his life has simply been on pause. He'll refer to things that happened 'last year' and then realize it was actually two years ago. He's anxious to get home and get back to his life.

And yet, his life has not 'been on pause'. He has actually been through an experience like none other, an experience that many of us will never know or understand. And he has grown. And he has learned so many things; he has learned what he is capable of.

I find this to be a good reminder for myself as well. I have a tendency to continually look forward to the future, to what's coming next. Which is a good thing, I think. But it can have negative outcomes as well. If you are so focused on what is to come, you can miss out on what is happening now. And I don't ever want to look back and wish I could relive a particular portion of my life over again because I didn't appreciate it at the time.

Ok, now that I've completely gone off track ... I'll get back to the point.

So in an effort to 'appreciate' the moments, here are some pictures of my favorite part of the holidays this year. Playing football in the backyard.

This was the most fun I've ever had playing football.

I'll be honest, I don't normally enjoy playing football in the backyard - or most group activities like this. I am not the most talented when it comes to athletics. I lack the desire and competitive edge to have ever gained any real skill. And I don't exactly enjoy displaying my lack of skill to others. But this day was different.

Maybe it was the fact that I had such an attractive quarterback ...

Or maybe because David was home ...


Did I mention this girl has an arm? Because she does. Not that that was good for ME, seeing as she was on the other team.

And did I mention this girl is a born athlete? Because she is. Not that that was good for ME either, because anytime I had any chance to doing anything - SHE was right on top of me.

Like I said, I couldn't get away from her! We were brutal. It was powder puff football at its finest. Full on touch football ladies and gentleman.

Whatever the reason, on this particular day - with the perfect backyard football weather, and with some of my favorite people - I was in heaven. I even caught the ball a few times! It was exhilarating.

And when you're down 14-35, decide the first one to 42 wins because your tired and ready to call it a game, and then come back to win 42-35 - it makes for a pretty good game.

No comments: